The Purposes of the Ocean Energy Council are:
- To improve public knowledge and acceptance of Ocean Energy as a viable resource with its own special advantages, ranking with oil, natural gas nuclear power, coal and direct solar applications in contributing to the national and international energy supply.
- To provide a forum for presenting to the U.S. Department of Energy and other government bodies as well as international energy organizations the considered professional recommendations of the ocean energy community.
- To foster educational advancement and growth of members in the field of ocean energy and specific contributions which may be made to the U.S. and foreign nations by development and application of ocean energy.
- To educate the public on the potential and current status of development of ocean energy.
- To interface with groups, organizations and other bodies whose purposes include the implementation of environmentally friendly alternate energy sources.